Have you ever gone through a dry season in your walk with the Lord?
You are going through the motions but your prayer and worship don’t feel genuine. That has happened to me at times, and it can be discouraging. You may feel like you are in a desert. You are parched, wind-whipped, frayed around the edges, burned out, and begging for some refreshment. You desire to have those rivers of living waters flow through you.
Here are some suggestions for what to do when you are in a spiritual funk.
- Listen to worship music. Play some praise music you love, songs you have worshiped along with before, or try some new tunes.
- Be honest with God. Confess to the Lord what you are feeling. He knows and He understands.
- Talk to a trusted friend. Share your struggle with another Christian friend and ask for prayer.
- Remember this is just a season. Don’t be hard on yourself. No season lasts forever, so trust God that He will deliver you.
- Listen to a podcast. There are some great faith-based podcasts that will encourage you and your walk with Jesus.
- Switch it up. Try reading different versions of the Bible than you typically read. Pull out some devotionals you haven’t read in a while, buy a new one you’ve heard of, or borrow one from a friend. You may even try listening to the audio Bible.
- Spend time in silence. Sit in God’s presence and listen. Open your hands and your heart to receive His words.
- Try coloring in a Scripture coloring book. This can be a great way to read the Word and bring some life back to your dry bones.
- Go on a retreat/day retreat. Find a place to get away from the hustle and bustle of life and focus on your relationship with God.
- Open up your Bible and read passages that have previously brought you comfort. The Lord is faithful and will woo you back with His kind and familiar words.
Here are some podcast suggestions:
The Next Right Thing by Emily Freeman
Dear Daughters by Susie Davis
Gospel in Life by Tim Keller
Bethel Podcast by Bethel Church Redding
Here are some Scripture coloring books for adults:
Whatever is Lovely: A Coloring Book for Reflection and Worship
Here are some devotional suggestions:
The Songs of Jesus: A Year of Daily Devotions in the Psalms
Other blog posts you may enjoy:
I hope you found some helpful tips for what to do when you are in a spiritual funk. May the Lord bring you to a place of amazing faith and overflowing joy.
Please feel free to email me for additional podcast, devotional, or Bible suggestions at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also email me if you’d like prayer.